Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Patience Pays Off

This is a cut-and-paste from an email sent back in March of 2006. Why so far back? Well, it's just a classic story of our day-to-day, and I was reminded of it as our daughter asked for "gook" a few days ago....

OK - big milestone moment today - and I just had to share.

For as long as he could ask for milk, our son has been calling it "noos." My husband and I have been very patient, knowing that ONE DAY, our son would figure out how to say "milk."

As we were sitting down to dinner this evening, I heard our son ask for something using a new word. I asked him to repeat what he just said, and he asked for "nil-k" (big accent on the final K sound). I was so stunned, I laughed and cried and made him say it again for my husband (who was also stunned). Of course, he got his "nilk" - and got asked to repeat the new word over and over again - never going back to "noos." We laughed and celebrated this new milestone in a huge way - probably as big a deal for us as his first steps (and I'm not exaggerating!).

I also overheard him - while he was outside with Daddy this morning - say, "Oh, Abby. Where are you?" Of course, the enunciation isn't perfect, but I'm so impressed with how his verbal skills are expanding on a daily basis! (By the way, Abby is one of our cats)

But - back to the whole noos/nilk story - our patience has finally been rewarded, in a big way (at least to us), and I'm the proud Mama that just wanted to share :)

No comments: