Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Pink Power Ranger

One night about 2 weeks ago, when he was supposed to be in bed and should have long since been asleep, my son got up to use the potty. Apparently, he got distracted on the way back to bed by some clothes that a friend had lent me for my daughter. They were sitting on the upstairs landing - not too far from the bathroom door, but definitely out of the way if he was on his way back to bed. As he perused the contents of the bag of clothes, he tried to put on a zip-up, "floaty-enhanced" pink swimsuit. Then, he got stuck in it and started crying.

Let me stop right here in the middle of the story to tell you that my son has night terrors. He's had them for years now. They occur more often when he's not on a good sleep schedule. We are having trouble maintaining a good sleep schedule right now, as he's trying to give up his afternoon nap. Go ahead, scroll down to the bottom and see how old he is according to the alligator. And yes, while most kids his age have given up the nap, he still takes one most days (lucky me!).

So, we heard him crying upstairs, and thought it was a plain old night terror. Go ahead and try to imagine our surprise when we walked into his room and saw him crammed into girls size 3 swimwear! Notice I said try, because you really can't imagine, and I can't do our reaction justice with words alone. To say we could not stifle our laughs is putting it extremely mildly. Of course, we pried him out of the thing as fast as we could (imagine taking the casing off of a 3.5-foot-tall sausage.....). He cried for at least another 10 minutes after we got it off of him (while Mom and Dad failed miserably to stop their bodies from shuddering with laughter).
Do you know how hard it is to sound comforting while your entire body is shaking because you are laughing so hard and trying at the same time to not laugh out loud? Thankfully, we kept the lights off (we could see well enough by his nightlight) or he'd have been much more upset.

By the way, do you know how badly I wanted to have my camera in the room to take a picture? But, my son's pride won out - putting this on the blog is bad enough, I think. By the way - the "Pink Power Ranger" thing is just between us, ok?

No comments: