Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Already?!?

How is it already July?  The kids have been out of school for close to a month now, and it seems we've barely had a moment to just ... be. 

Don't get me wrong - we have certainly planned for a lot of our busy-ness.  Camps for the kids, home study visits with our social worker as we make progress with our plans to adopt, and some to-dos around the house (due to slacking off during a very busy May and June) were all in our plans.  (And somebody had a birthday!)  Don't think I'm complaining when I say this, but things are just different when the kids are not in school all day.  The hours seem to be more full and to fly by even faster than the days during the school year.  Busy-ness has a way of speeding up the clock, doesn't it?

But along with the, "Whoa, where's the summer going?" feeling, I realize that we really are taking it a little easy on our days "off."  The kids are playing with friends in the neighborhood, they have quiet/reading time in the afternoons (Mister J is making great progress on a book series), and although there are plenty of free/inexpensive opportunities we could take advantage of, I have not rushed us out to any of them.  Not even to sign up for the free summer reading program at one of my favorite local bookstores.  But I have been taking advantage of the library, and may even let the kiddos try out some e-books that they can read via my kindle app. 

I've been participating in an informal book study on A Lineage of Grace, I've had some fun with Flappy Mail, and I'm trying to make some progress on a master bedroom restyle.  (I'm pretty inspired to do some switcheroos in the kitchen/dining/living room, too, but the MBR is first!)  Oh, and then there's the normal "just being an adult" stuff like getting along without a microwave while you ponder the repair/replace dilemma.  *sigh*

Today, for our 'relaxed' day, we have cooked breakfast, emptied/reloaded/run the dishwasher, I let the kids wash the items that could not go/fit into the dishwasher (I was not prepared for the amount of water that found its way out of the sink...), prepared and cleaned up lunch, had some playtime with the neighbors' kids, reading time, and now they are having a bit of screen time before ... before I figure out what's next. 

There's plenty on my to-do list - always is! - but mostly I need to work on a meal plan for this evening (not to mention the rest of the week) and probably do some grocery shopping to round things out (I wish I could find all of my needs and favorites in one store).  I may get the kids in on the meal planning - especially our snack supply for a drive-in movie we'll see later in the week.  (So excited about that - and hoping the weather cooperates!)

How's your first month of summer?  Have you had a moment to catch your breath?

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Slow summers sound heavenly. Thanks for the reminder to not rush to do something just because it's free. I struggle with that.