Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Overheard ... #6

... while on the phone with Big J:
(You need a little backstory on this one - today is Mister J's birthday. You'll see more about that soon enough!)

Me: Oh, by the way, E called and I gave him your cell number. Did he reach you?

Big J: Just got off the phone. He invited me to [exciting sporting event in nearby metropolis] this evening.

Me: Oh, bummer that it's tonight and you can't go!

Big J: What do you mean?

Me: (As blood pressure rises and face reddens, but with voice as calm as possible...) It's your son's birthday

Big J: Ok.... And?

Me: (Blood pressure higher, face redder, voice slightly less calm...) And. It's. Your. Son's. Birthday.

Big J: (Laughter. Lots of it. I'm surprised he didn't fall off of his chair. And then, amid continuing laughter....) Sorry, I couldn't keep a straight face for that one! How's your blood pressure?

He knows me too well! With blood pressure slowly settling back down to normal, I laughed along with him as we finished up our conversation. Admittedly, he had me going there for a moment, but I have to confess that I'm thankful for a lighthearted moment like this in the midst of such a busy week!

1 comment:

Heather said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY J! I cannot believe you are 5 years old. I remember being your first sitter and you wanted to stay up all night until your mom and dad came home from the marathon movie. We had such a great time and you are turning into a wonderful young man. Keep up all that growing! Ohh and we still keep pictures of you on our fridge. :)