Thursday, May 15, 2008

Growing up waaayyy too fast

Seems my kids have a lot of things to say lately, and I'm finding many of them funny enough to post. We were on our way to a friend's house this morning when my son piped up with this:

"Mom, I'm getting old."
"Really? How do you know?"
"Because I have a headache."

If anyone out there has had a headache, I hate to tell you, but in the eyes of my four-year-old, you are nearly dust.

I do think he's growing up too fast, though. He has recently been telling people that his sister is "one-and-a-half." Fairly accurate, but I didn't know that almost-four-and-a-half-year-olds cared about it that much.

My daughter has several new words and phrases lately. She's picked up "cool" from her brother, loves to look at one of her picture books (on the "Good Morning, Baby" page) and shout, "Moh-nin' Bay-bee!" and often says to me "Aw-wight" when she's in the mood to actually agree with me (a rare occurrence this week).

I always heard from more experienced moms that I would be sad when my kids began sitting up/walking/talking - that I would miss what used to be. It's a little bittersweet, but watching them grow into themselves - does that make sense? - become their own little person fills me with such joy that I can't put it into words. I'll take them "getting old" just to marvel at who they will become.

No comments: