Sunday, May 30, 2010

Capture the Moment

I recently spoke at a preschool graduation ceremony.  I was honored to have the opportunity, but anxious about what I would say.  I wondered if anyone would really be listening, to be honest.  And of course, I always feel like my greatest moments of inspiration hit when I'm driving - and by the time I can stop, those fleeting moments of brilliance are long gone.  I ended up speaking very briefly about "capturing the moment."

One of the things I have tried to do with my blog is to capture both the ordinary and the extra-special moments in our lives. I've got lots of stories and lots of photos.  The majority of the photos feature my kids - after all, they grow like weeds and change so quickly!  But it's been a long time - a LONG time - since we've had family portraits made.  There's an occasional snapshot of all four of us.  Why?  Aside from the fact that I'm usually the one behind the camera, I don't like how I look  in photos.  And why is that?  Well, because the camera tells the truth - and like most women out there, I don't usually like what it tells me.  (Plus, I don't like my smile since I've gotten braces, but that's another story).  Typically, it takes a darn good reason - like Christmas cards or a request from school - to get a photo of all four of us.

Our last family portraits were made over three years ago.  I feel terrible about that, but after reading this post, I'm resolving to get in the photo more often - even if it's just a snapshot.  Besides that, I'm also resolving to be happy about it.  I can't go back and make up for the moments I missed, but going forward I can do better.

PS - As it turns out, my friend Muffy just took some photos of us two days ago.  I absolutely love them!  And I owe her big time, because I like how I look in these!  Thanks, friend, for capturing the moment!

Miss M (almost 4), Big J, me, Mister J (6 1/2)

3 comments:

Heather said...

This is an awesome pic of the four of you. One of Anna's favorite activities is looking at her scrapbook which features pictures of all of us. She loves pointing out who is who and it doesn't matter to her what we look like. One day your kids will want those same photo memories too. So get in the picture darn it!

Big J said...

I still think you should post the one where Miss M was being herself.

Hartley said...

Me too, Big J.