Thursday, June 3, 2010

Eco-Smart?

I recently purchased this Dial soap refill for our liquid soap dispensers.  As I emptied it today, I was annoyed with myself for ever having purchased it.  What looks eco-smart now has me asking, "Is it really?"  Sure, there's less packaging.  The package even states, "uses 67% less plastic that bottle refills."  Perhaps the clue should have been this statement: "Lessens impact on landfills."  What's really got my feathers ruffled?  There is no recycling symbol on this 'eco-smart' packaging.

I was trying to be a smart, environmentally-conscious consumer by purchasing a product that uses less plastic.  And I was using it to refill a soap pump (a glass one) that I already have.  Apparently, though, this product is designed for someone who's not planning to recycle, so they can feel good about putting less plastic that usual into the landfill. Well, I don't feel food about that.  Note to self: look for the recycling symbol before purchasing!

I guess it's a non-issue at this point, really.  I'm slowing making the move to all-natural products.  As I run out of things, I'm trying hard to replace them with something healthier for our home, our bodies, and the planet.  (Now I sound all crunchy-granola, don't I?  Trust me, I've got a long way to go!)  My point is, this soap won't be on my grocery list again.  Even if it did have a recycling symbol.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I've been thinking about this whole switching to more eco-friendly products thing lately. I'll have to get some ideas from you.