Monday, November 10, 2008

Did I just SEE that?

Y'all, I restrained myself from giving a parenting lecture to some ... irresponsible ... folks I saw this morning. At least, I hope they were the parents - otherwise, if they were childcare providers, the parents are probably really snowed and would be shocked to see what I saw.

After our Wal-Mart run this morning, I was putting Miss M and our purchases into the mommy-van. There was another van parked next to ours, and I could see two adults (who I assume are the parents) in the front seats. As I folded Miss M's stroller and loaded it into the back of the mommy-van, I could see that the adults were outside of the van, and they were smoking. I am well aware of the dangers of smoking around children, and while I don't agree with it, I understand that some parents do smoke around their children. That alone is not a reason for me to get up on my soapbox. (I'm the child of an ex-smoker, and I turned out okay.) It's the next bit, however, that made me want to scream.

It's bright out today, and the sun was shining through so that I could see into the second row of the van parked next to us. There was a little boy strapped into his car seat - he looked to be about 3 years old. Not only could I see his sweet face, I could see that he was wearing a nasal cannula. As you probably just did, I assumed he was using supplemental oxygen. Of course, that tugged at my heartstrings - but also infuriated me since the parents were smoking! So, not only does he already have some breathing problems, but oxygen is flammable. And, sure enough, as I calmly backed out of my parking space, I could see two more tanks of oxygen in the back of their van because the back gate was open.

Y'all, I struggle with calling them parents.... And I'm going to pray for that little boy's safety as well as his health.

5 comments:

Hartley said...

EX-SMOKER, thank you very much.....

RLR said...

So noted, and updated :) Love you, Daddy!

Georgia said...

Things like that totally get me! I'm with you! While I didn't grow up with smokers, Mason did. I don't get it. But, I am with you! Very upsetting!

Jane Anne said...

That is just heart-breaking! I can only imagine how frustrated I would be to see that. Good for you for praying for him.

Hartley said...

Reminds me of an experience I had one evening at a gas pump....
Lady was letting her 5 or 6 year old son pump the gas. I asked her to PLEASE not let him do that and got a look that could send chills down "Damien's" back.
I went about my business of cleaning my windshield when I heard a loud scream. The gasoline has splashed back and covered him from top of his head to the middle of his chest. Eyes, mouth, nose,just everywhere!
I grabbed him and ran into the store. The clerk told me to go to the large sink in the rear of the store. We got him washed off and calmed down. I suggested, STRONGLY, to the Mom that she now take the kid to the ER.
She called the next day to thank me and promised she would never again do that.

Another story....as I was walking into the ONCOLOGY office this morning there was a woman standing right outside the door....SMOKING!!!