Friday, February 27, 2009

Overheard #16

My daughter needs to be bilingual. Scratch that, Big J and I need to be bilingual, because Miss M regularly counts in Spanish rather than English (thank you, Dora and Diego!). And that's not all....

The kids and I were meeting Big J for lunch today at a local Mexican restaurant. We got there before he did, got seated, and were going to go ahead and order (I'd already gotten Big J's order by phone to save some time). When the server came to take our order, I double-checked with Mister J that he wanted milk, and as I turned to Miss M I am sure that I heard her say, "Agua." I can't be 100% sure, as she wasn't saying it to me, she was turned toward the server. But it sure sounded like that's what she said. I confirmed with her that she actually did want water, and she said yes. The true test? She drank it when the server bought it to her.

I tell you, next week, she's going to break out with, "Quisiera un vidrio de agua, por favor." Should I be ordering a copy of Rosetta Stone?

No comments: