Friday, May 22, 2009

"I Despise This"

My daughter is allergic to peanuts and eggs. For those living with food allergies, sometimes all of the label-reading we do still doesn't keep us or our kids safe, and that stinks. I know that every one of us faces risks every time we walk out the door. For those living with food allergies, sometimes the danger follows us home, a stealthy, silent intruder.

A bloggy friend of mine sent a Twitter update last evening -
"Nerves are shot. Son had allergic reaction to cake batter. No nut warning included in allergy warning on cake mix."

And a later update:
"Trying to relax. My son is okay after a allergic reaction to Duncan Hines cake mix (nuts were not included in the allergy info)"

Her husband posted about it on his blog this morning. She will post about it later on, and I'll link to her post at that time.

While everything is OK now, it was a scary experience for them and their peanut-allergic son. If you know someone with food allergies (tip: even if you aren't aware of it, you know someone with a food allergy), I hope you'll go over and read about their experience.

No comments: