Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What I Did Today

I took a break from the Big Toy Purge of '09 today. Instead of sorting through toys, reuniting missing pieces with their mates, and explaining to the kids that we really don't need 629 kids' meal prizes, I....

Zested and juiced these...
Eighthed navel oranges worked well in my citrus press

Then measured, mixed, stirred, and baked. The final result was two dozen of these.
Orange Blueberry Muffins

I don't think I'll ever go back to 'plain' blueberry muffins. I'm enjoying baking from scratch, and if I'm going to go to that effort, I might as well add in the orange zest and juice, too! I did not add the cinnamon sugar topping today, and I like them better that way. Instead of mostly noticing the cinnamon sugar, I really noticed the orange flavor. Yum!

While the muffins were baking, I grated, measured, kneaded, and scooped this...

To make over six dozen of these....
Sausage balls

Then I fed this...

This...
I promise she does smile!

And this....
He's glad to be feeling better after a rough morning.

It has been a cool and rainy day after weeks of warmer weather - a perfect day for baking since we were staying inside anyway!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love orange in muffins. In fact my favorite is orange cranberry muffins I make from scratch. I'll have to try the blueberry version. Yum-o! Way to go domestic goddess!!!

Jane Anne said...

Those muffins look delicious! I haven't made them in a while. I need to do that. Maybe I will treat myself this weekend.