Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Overheard #16

Mister J is learning about rhyming words at preschool. On the way home from our spontaneous evening, he piped up, "Grass... A$$... Do they rhyme?"
As soon as Big J and I stifled our laughs, I said to Mister J, "Yes, Sweetie, they rhyme," stifled another laugh, and continued, "Mister J, that word you said after 'grass' wasn't a nice word."
Mister J looked at me and, as if I couldn't remember the other word, said, "A$$."
"Yes, that word. It's not a nice word."
"I know."
Oh, my!
He still hasn't told us where he heard the word, even though we have told him that nobody will get in trouble. I can tell by the look on his face that he does know, he just doesn't want to tell me. That's a battle for another day. For now, I'm just hoping that he won't be telling Mrs. E, his preschool teacher, about the latest rhyming words he's discovered.

No comments: